Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Opportunity Not Taken. . .

I am going to tell the truth, I WANT TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD. Don’t laugh, it is very true and I will to attain this goal. Now there is some motivation as to why I want to do this.  They are:

1) I want to be able to do things and see things that most people dream of,

2) gain as many titles as possible. Titles equal power, and power, when used correctly, helps you get what you want, when you want it; and

3) I am competitive, I want more than what you have (which is funny because I am a teacher).

What I am going to talk about are the ways that I plan to take over the world.  Hopefully, you will see what action I am taking and strive for the same goals.

            Let’s talk about my competitive side.  I am a jock, an English teacher jock.  I can run faster than you and I could whip you in a spelling bee at the same time (weird combination, right?).  I want a big house, I want to retire with a lot of money, and I want to own a lake home.  Many people look down on teaching because they say that you can never make enough money.  These people can only be more wrong if they believed that two plus two equals five.  There is a lot of money to be made in teaching, if you play your cards right.

            For example, some people will start out around $23,000.00; you can qualify for government assistance in some states making that kind of money (I did in Alaska). But, you only work 9 months out of the year; they are a trying, hard, and daunting nine months, but nine months nonetheless.  You have an opportunity during the summer to start your own business if you wanted.  You have an opportunity to take on other projects that will make money.  If you are an English teacher like me, you could tutor English or non-speaking English students, coach a team, or do something totally out of your realm.  That could be an extra $4,000.00 in your pocket.  Maybe you don’t want to work during the summer, fine, but some of you are due for a lane change, so why would you not work towards that.  Some lane changes carry a raise of about $1,700.  Even if it is less than that, every year that you do not change a lane or work towards your MS +45, you are missing out on free money.  Let’s be blunt, you are missing out on free money BECAUSE YOU ARE BEING LAZY (and you tell your students to take responsibility).

            Like I said before, I like titles so I am a part of three boards.  I am the SLATE representative for the NDCTE, I am Chairman of the EMAC for NDEA, and I am the Vice President of the Wahpeton Reading Council.  Yes, I am tooting my own horn.  Why would I partake in all of these extra-curriculars? Networking.  Knowing a lot of people is always a good thing, knowing people who are powerful in your profession is everything. That is how you get what you want, and a good way to secure your job, so rub as many shoulders as possible. Plus, those groups have sent me on trips (paid trips). FREE! Who doesn’t like free stuff? Which brings me to my last point, being able to see and do things that people only dream.  I got the opportunity this year to go to an international convention.  If you have not been to one, you do not know what you’re missing.  Not one of these regional ones, The International Reading Association Convention.  Different moneys that were put together by the reading council paid for all of this, check with your district. Lastly, everyone should be a part of an organization; it is your professional responsibility.

The motivation for this blog came when I was reading the NCTE magazine article entitled "The Results of the 2009 Elections Are In" online, which told about the current elections. It made me think about some things teachers could do to better our profession.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I had to laugh. My husband also jokes about gaining titles and taking over the world. He has "CPA" behind his name already, I keep waiting for him to add another.

    While I don't think that teachers are ever going to make enough money to retire rich, we do need to take opportunities to add to our salaries by taking classes to pursue lane changes, as well as increasing our knowledge of our profession. I usually work during the summer and have a variety of jobs including planting trees for the soil conservation district, working a temp position for the Fish and Wildlife Service, and (gasp!) working summer daycare (I've done daycare for 4 summers...I need to stop torturing myself!). I did take this summer off as I am just too busy with my classes to fit work in. I also try to join committees. Yes, they are great networking opportunities, but you are also working to improve some segment of our profession. What a responsibility!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Plankton...(lol). I enjoyed reading your post. More power to you! I am somewhat the same way- I am competitive and strive to do more/have more. You're correct. Teachers have opportunities to make more money, move across lanes, teach somewhere else, and gain titles that give teachers a little more clout when it comes to negotiations/extra duties. I had to kind of laugh this year when our school negotiated extra curricular activities. All of our teachers wanted the "price to be right." No matter what the price is some are just too lazy and I know in the fall we'll have a difficult time getting teachers to take on the extra curriculars. I too- get tired of being around the tired teachers. These “types” tend to put down teachers that are going above and beyond. I learned quickly during my first two years of teaching. I realized that I have to 1. not care what others think 2.advocate for what I believe in and for my students (sometimes this comes at a big cost in a small school) 3. Try my best to remain friendly/neutral while being prepared to defend my position in school discussions and decisions.

    ReplyDelete